I am writing the follwing test code.
fn test() {
let mut m = HashMap::new();
m.insert("aaa".to_string(), "bbb".to_string());
let a = m["aaa"]; // error [E0507] cannot move out of index of `HashMap<String, String>`
let a = m.index("aaa"); // ok, the type of a is &String. I think The compile will add & to m;
let a :&String = (&m).index("aaa"); // ok, the type of a is &String.
println!("{:?}", m["aaa"]); // ok
}
I am not understand why the return type of m["aaa"] is String, not &String. Because the index(&self, key: &Q) -> &V of the trait Index has a &self parameter, I think the compile will add a & to m, and the return type of m["aaa"] should be &String, so String "bbb" will not be moved out of m.
If the compile does not add & to m, it will not find the index() method, the error should be like m cannot be indexed by "bbb";