How to use NLP to detect sentences in a long text?

Viewed 371

I am using automatic speech recognition to extract text from an audio file. However, the output is just a long sequence of words with no punctuation whatsoever. What I'd like to do is use some NLP technique to estimate beginnings and endings of sentences, or, in other words, predict positions of punctuation markers. I found that CoreNLP can do sentence splitting, but apparently only if punctuation is already present.

2 Answers

In spoken language you often find that people don't use sentences, but that the clauses simply run into each other. The degree to which this happens depends on the formality and setting -- a speech will conform more to written sentence structures than a conversation in a pub among friends.

One approach you could try is to identify words that typically begin/end sentences in written text, and see if that can help you segmenting your data. Or look for verbs, and then try to find boundaries between them; this might be clause boundaries rather than sentence boundaries, but as I said, in spoken language there often are no sentences.

Related