I would like to demonstrate the use of the :observer GUI from a remote IEx shell. My target is BEAM running my Elixir app on a resource contrained embedded system.
I built the remote OS using Buildroot including support for Erlang. I added a checkout of the elixir-lang repo to give me Elixir and IEx. (Version is reported as 1.13.0-dev and I'm using Erlang/OTP 22.)
My host OS is Ubuntu and I'm using the same versions of Elixir and OTP for consistency.
I start my app on the remote machine with:
iex --sname foo --cookie <cookie> -S mix run
and connect to it from my host with:
iex --sname bar --cookie <cookie> --remsh foo@<remote machine name>
This gives me a remote shell. However when I try entering :observer.start(), I get an error, ERROR: Could not find 'wxe_driver.so' in: /usr/lib/erlang/lib/wx-1.9/priv
The .so file actually exists at that path on my Ubuntu machine, but not on my embedded system which lacks WX widgets (and X windows and any sort of graphical output hardware). Is there any way around this? Have I done something wrong?
