How can I create an array of input elements in react which are being "watched" without triggering the error for using useState outside the body of the FunctionComponent?
if I have the following (untested, simplified example):
interface Foo {
val: string;
setVal: React.Dispatch<React.SetStateAction<string>>;
}
function MyReactFunction() {
const [allVals, setAllVals] = useState<Foo[]>([])
const addVal = () => {
const [val, setVal] = useState('')
setAllVals(allVals.concat({val, setVal}))
}
return (
<input type="button" value="Add input" onClick={addVal}>
allVals.map(v => <li><input value={v.val} onChange={(_e,newVal) => v.setVal(newVal)}></li>)
)
}
I will get the error Hooks can only be called inside of the body of a function component.
How might I dynamically add "watched" elements in the above code, using FunctionComponents?
Edit
I realise a separate component for each <li> above would be able to solve this problem, but I am attempting to integrate with Microsoft Fluent UI, and so I only have the onRenderItemColumn hook to use, rather than being able to create a separate Component for each list item or row.
Edit 2
in response to Drew Reese's comment: apologies I am new to react and more familiar with Vue and so I am clearly using the wrong terminology (watch, ref, reactive etc). How would I rewrite the code example I provided so that there is:
- An
addbutton - Each time the button is pressed, another input element is added.
- Each time a new value is entered into the input element, the input element shows the value
- There are not excessive or unnecessary re-rendering of the DOM when input elements have their value updated or new input element is added
- I have access to all the values in all the input elements. For example, if a separate submit button is pressed I could get an array of all the string values in each input element. In the code I provided, this would be with
allVals.map(v => v.val)