I would like to have compiler throw an error every time there is a declaration after statement because that is the coding style I want to enforce, but I also want to compile with -std=c99 since I use some of the specific c99 features.
The problem is that in c99 declarations are allowed anywhere in the code, not just at the beginning of a block.
Take a look at the following program:
// prog.c
#include <stdio.h>
int main(void)
{
printf("hello world\n");
int i = 0;
return 0;
}
If I compile this code with gcc like this:
gcc -std=c99 -Werror=declaration-after-statement prog.c
it throws the following error:
prog.c: In function ‘main’:
prog.c:6:9: error: ISO C90 forbids mixed declarations and code [-Werror=declaration-after-statement]
6 | int i = 0;
| ^~~
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
This is the behavior I would like to have when compiling with clang, but clang behaves differently.
If I compile the same code with clang like this:
clang -std=c99 -Werror=declaration-after-statement prog.c
it throws no errors.
Only if I compile the code with clang like this it throws the error I want:
clang -std=c90 -Werror=declaration-after-statement prog.c
prog.c:6:6: error: ISO C90 forbids mixing declarations and code [-Werror,-Wdeclaration-after-statement]
int i = 0;
^
1 error generated.
But this is not good for me because I need to use -std=c99.
Is it possible to force -Werror=declaration-after-statement along with -std=c99 when compiling with clang?