Trigger a named pipeline in gitlab

Viewed 55

I would like to switch from my jenkins jobs to gitlab pipelines entirely. However, some jobs are never executed as the result of a pipeline. I would like to be able to trigger these jobs/tasks manually (e.g. by pressing a button or curl).

These manual jobs are intended to perform some source code modifications (such as dependency updates, creating tickets for external rollouts, ...) and create a MR as a result (which is then covered by the normal ci pipelines).

Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to trigger these. There is the trigger API, that allows to run the pipeliens for a certain branch, but I would like to trigger a pipeline only by name. I explicitly don't want to rerun the default pipelines on these triggers.

I also considered using environments/deployments, but these tasks lack a real lifecycle and I don't wish to repurpose those for my needs.

TLDR: How do I trigger a job/pipeline by name?

update-dependencies:
  only:
  - triggers
  script:
  - update-dependencies.sh
1 Answers

You can use:

  when: manual

Example:

update-dependencies:
  script:
  - update-dependencies.sh
  when: manual

How it looks:

enter image description here

Related