I have a application where the same data is present in many places in the graph and need to optimize the data queries to avoid processing and sending the same data too often.
As an example consider the following pseudo schema:
type Group {
name: String
members: [Person]
}
type Person {
name: String
email: String
avatar: Avatar
follows: [Person]
followedBy: [Person]
contacts: [Person]
groups: [Group]
bookmarks: [Bookmark]
sentMessages: [Message]
receivedMessages: [Message]
}
type Message {
text: String
author: Person
recipients: [Person]
}
type Bookmark {
message: Message
}
Querying a users data can easily contain hundreds, if not thousands, of Person-objects even though it the small circle of friends/contacts/follows only contains tens of distict users.
In my real implementation about 80% of each GraphQL query (in bytes) is redundant and considering that the client does many different queries in the same space above 90% of all data transferred and processed is redundant.
How could I improve the model so that I don't have to load the same data again and again without complicating the client too much?
I'm using Apollo for both GraphQL client and server.