GITLAB_OMNIBUS_CONFIG env variable not working?

Viewed 393

I am following the guide to install gitlab using docker from here.

I have provided the following Environment Variable when setting up the docker install of gitlab:

GITLAB_OMNIBUS_CONFIG="external_url 'http://gitlab.example.com/'; gitlab_rails['gitlab_shell_ssh_port'] = 30022; puma['worker_processes'] = 0; sidekiq['max_concurrency'] = 10; prometheus_monitoring['enable'] = false; postgresql['shared_buffers'] = '256MB'; gitaly['cgroups_count'] = 2; gitaly['cgroups_mountpoint'] = '/sys/fs/cgroup'; gitaly['cgroups_hierarchy_root'] = 'gitaly'; gitaly['cgroups_memory_enabled'] = true; gitaly['cgroups_memory_limit'] = 250000; gitaly['cgroups_cpu_enabled'] = true; gitaly['cgroups_cpu_shares'] = 512; gitaly['concurrency'] = [ { 'rpc' => '/gitaly.SmartHTTPService/PostReceivePack', 'max_per_repo' => 3 }, { 'rpc' => '/gitaly.SSHService/SSHUploadPack', 'max_per_repo' => 3 } ]; gitaly['env'] = { 'LD_PRELOAD' => '/opt/gitlab/embedded/lib/libjemalloc.so', 'MALLOC_CONF' => 'dirty_decay_ms:1000,muzzy_decay_ms:1000', 'GITALY_COMMAND_SPAWN_MAX_PARALLEL' => '2' }; gitlab_rails['time_zone'] = 'GMT'; gitlab_rails['display_initial_root_password'] = true;"

In case you're wonding where this comes from? See here.

The docker install works fine and I can access the Gitlab GUI.

As you can see that I have setup an option of gitlab_rails['display_initial_root_password']. But when I try and get the initial password, it gives the following in the container logs:

password: *** - You opted not to display initial root password to STDOUT.

This makes me wonder if providing the environment var GITLAB_OMNIBUS_CONFIG makes any difference or not? How do I check it? I would like to make these settings permanent. What's the best way to do it? How do I make the above settings permanent?

PS I am deploying it on rancher 2.6 using k3s if that makes a difference?

Thanks

2 Answers

The easiest way to permanently change settings was to edit the gitlab.rb file. This file gets created for the first time when you spin up the container.

If you do modify the gitlab.rb, note that GitLab 15.3 (Aug. 2022) is deprecating some of the gitaly cgroup setting:

Gitaly is now using new cgroup configurations.

The following configs are to be deprecated:

gitaly['cgroups_count'], 
gitaly['cgroups_memory_limit'], 
gitaly['cgroups_memory_enabled], and 
gitaly['cgroups_cpu_enabled']. 

If you use any of the previous settings, ensure you remove them or switch to the new ones, before the 16.0 major release.

Related