I have been using glm to help build a software rasterizer for self education. In my camera class I am using glm::lookat() to create my view matrix and glm::perspective() to create my perspective matrix.
I seem to be getting what I expect for my left, right top and bottom clipping planes. However, I seem to be either doing something wrong for my near/far planes of there is an error in my understanding. I have reached a point in which my "google-fu" has failed me.
Operating under the assumption that I am correctly extracting clip planes from my glm::perspective matrix, and using the general plane equation:
aX+bY+cZ+d = 0
I am getting strange d or "offset" values for my zNear and zFar planes. It is my understanding that the d value is the value of which I would be shifting/translatin the point P0 of a plane along the normal vector.
They are 0.200200200 and -0.200200200 respectively. However, my normals are correct orientated at +1.0f and -1.f along the z-axis as expected for a plane perpendicular to my z basis vector.
So when testing a point such as the (0, 0, -5) world space against these planes, it is transformed by my view matrix to:
(0, 0, 5.81181192)
so testing it against these plane in a clip chain, said example vertex would be culled.
Here is the start of a camera class establishing the relevant matrices:
static constexpr glm::vec3 UPvec(0.f, 1.f, 0.f);
static constexpr auto zFar = 100.f;
static constexpr auto zNear = 0.1f;
Camera::Camera(glm::vec3 eye, glm::vec3 center, float fovY, float w, float h) :
viewMatrix{ glm::lookAt(eye, center, UPvec) },
perspectiveMatrix{ glm::perspective(glm::radians<float>(fovY), w/h, zNear, zFar) },
frustumLeftPlane {setPlane(0, 1)},
frustumRighPlane {setPlane(0, 0)},
frustumBottomPlane {setPlane(1, 1)},
frustumTopPlane {setPlane(1, 0)},
frstumNearPlane {setPlane(2, 0)},
frustumFarPlane {setPlane(2, 1)},
The frustum objects are based off the following struct:
struct Plane
{
glm::vec4 normal;
float offset;
};
I have extracted the 6 clipping planes from the perspective matrix as below:
Plane Camera::setPlane(const int& row, const bool& sign)
{
float temp[4]{};
Plane plane{};
if (sign == 0)
{
for (int i = 0; i < 4; ++i)
{
temp[i] = perspectiveMatrix[i][3] + perspectiveMatrix[i][row];
}
}
else
{
for (int i = 0; i < 4; ++i)
{
temp[i] = perspectiveMatrix[i][3] - perspectiveMatrix[i][row];
}
}
plane.normal.x = temp[0];
plane.normal.y = temp[1];
plane.normal.z = temp[2];
plane.normal.w = 0.f;
plane.offset = temp[3];
plane.normal = glm::normalize(plane.normal);
return plane;
}
Any help would be appreciated, as now I am at a loss.
Many thanks.