I'm trying to combine seaborn's heatmap and kdeplot in one figure, but so far the result is not very promising since I cannot find a way to make them overlap. As a result, the heatmap is just squeezed to the left side of the figure.
I think the reason is that seaborn doesn't seem to recognize the x-axis as the same one in two charts (see picture below), although the data points are exactly the same. The only difference is that for heatmap I needed to pivot them, while for the kdeplot pivoting is not needed.
Therefore, data for the axis are coming from the same dataset, but in the different forms as it can be seen in the code below.
The dataset sample looks something like this:
X Y Z
7,75 280 52,73
3,25 340 54,19
5,75 340 53,61
2,5 180 54,67
3 340 53,66
1,75 340 54,81
4,5 380 55,18
4 240 56,49
4,75 380 55,17
4,25 180 55,40
2 420 56,42
2,25 380 54,90
My code:
import numpy as np
import seaborn as sns
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
f, ax = plt.subplots(figsize=(11, 9), dpi=300)
plt.tick_params(bottom='on')
# dataset is just a pandas frame with data
X1 = dataset.iloc[:, :3].pivot("X", "Y", "Z")
X2 = dataset.iloc[:, :2]
ax = sns.heatmap(X1, cmap="Spectral")
ax.invert_yaxis()
ax2 = plt.twinx()
sns.kdeplot(X2.iloc[:, 1], X2.iloc[:, 0], ax=ax2, zorder=2)
ax.axis('tight')
plt.show()
Please help me with placing kdeplot on top of the heatmap. Ideally, I would like my final plot to look something like this:
Any tips or hints will be greatly appreciated!


