I have used AbstractUser defined in Django for user model and have a UserProfile model which is one to one relation with the User. Now I have to implement a role-based authorization for the CRM project that I am writing.
What will be the best approach to assign a role? Should I use add fields inside the user model or inside the UserProfile model? Or I should use the already defined superuser,is_staff or active status inside User model.
My models:
class CustomUserManager(BaseUserManager):
"""
Custom user model manager where email is the unique identifiers
for authentication instead of usernames.
"""
def create_user(self,first_name,last_name,email, password, **extra_fields):
"""
Create and save a User with the given email and password.
"""
if not email:
raise ValueError("The email must be set")
first_name = first_name.capitalize()
last_name = last_name.capitalize()
email = self.normalize_email(email)
user = self.model(
first_name=first_name, last_name=last_name, email=email, **extra_fields
)
#user = self.model(email=self.normalize_email(email), **extra_fields)
user.set_password(password)
user.save(using=self.db)
return user
def create_superuser(self, first_name,last_name,email, password, **extra_fields):
"""
Create and save a SuperUser with the given email and password.
"""
extra_fields.setdefault('is_staff', True)
extra_fields.setdefault('is_superuser', True)
extra_fields.setdefault('is_active', True)
if extra_fields.get('is_staff') is not True:
raise ValueError(_('Superuser must have is_staff=True.'))
if extra_fields.get('is_superuser') is not True:
raise ValueError(_('Superuser must have is_superuser=True.'))
return self.create_user(first_name,last_name,email, password, **extra_fields)
class CustomUser(AbstractUser):
username = None
email = models.EmailField(unique=True)
first_name = models.CharField(max_length=255)
last_name = models.CharField(max_length=255)
USERNAME_FIELD = 'email'
REQUIRED_FIELDS = []
objects = CustomUserManager()
def __str__(self):
return self.email
ROLE = (('admin','ADMIN'),('manager','MANAGER'),('staff','STAFF'))
class UserProfile(models.Model):
user = models.OneToOneField(CustomUser, on_delete=models.CASCADE,related_name='profile') # Delete profile when user is deleted
image = models.ImageField(default='default.jpg',blank=True,null=True)
address = models.CharField(max_length=150,blank=True)
mobile = models.CharField(max_length=15,blank=True)
job_position = models.CharField(max_length=25, blank=True)
role = models.CharField(max_length=15,choices=ROLE,default='staff')
def __str__(self):
return f'{self.user.username} Profile' # show how we want it to be displayed
For now, I have added the roles inside the profile model. But what I think is, if I am dealing with user inside every api, the field role should be defined inside the User model as it makes it easier.