Assume I have a templated MemoryPool class a function create(...) (which returns a pointer to a newly allocated object of type T) and a function destroy(T*) (which destroys and returns the memory back to the pool).
I would like to create a std::unique_ptr that "owns" the pointer created by the pool and returns the pointer to the pool, thus requiring a custom deleter.
The problem is, how do I make this work if the pool contains concrete objects and I want to pass around a std::unique_ptr to an abstract interface of this object.
Here is an example that doesn't compile:
#include <iostream>
#include <memory>
#include <functional>
#include <utility>
template <typename T>
class MemoryPool {
public:
template <typename ... ARGS>
T* create(ARGS&&... args) {
std::cout << "MemoryPool::create()" << std::endl;
return new T(std::forward<ARGS>(args)...);
}
void destroy(T* ptr) {
std::cout << "MemoryPool::destroy()" << std::endl;
delete ptr;
}
};
class ITest {
public:
ITest() {
std::cout << "ITest::ITest()" << std::endl;
}
virtual ~ITest() {
std::cout << "ITest::~ITest()" << std::endl;
}
virtual void sayHello() = 0;
};
class Test :public ITest {
public:
Test() {
std::cout << "Test::Test()" << std::endl;
}
~Test() {
std::cout << "Test::~Test()" << std::endl;
}
void sayHello() override {
std::cout << "Test says hello" << std::endl;
}
};
class ITestOwner {
public:
ITestOwner(std::unique_ptr<ITest> ptr) :
_ptr(std::move(ptr))
{
std::cout << "ITestOwner::ITestOwner()" << std::endl;
}
~ITestOwner() {
std::cout << "ITestOwner::~ITestOwner()" << std::endl;
}
void sayHello() { _ptr->sayHello(); }
private:
std::unique_ptr<ITest> _ptr;
};
int main() {
MemoryPool<Test> pool;
std::unique_ptr<Test, std::function<void(Test*)>> ptr(pool.create(), [&pool](Test* ptr){
std::cout << "Custom Deleter" << std::endl;
pool.destroy(ptr);
});
ITestOwner owner(std::move(ptr));
owner.sayHello();
return 0;
}
Keep in mind that, my real MemoryPool class would actually act as a normal memory pool and not use new/delete as I have done.
In this example, ITestOwner should take over ownership of the std::unique_ptr to a ITest abstract object. Then, when ITestOwner is destroyed, the smart pointer will be destroyed, and the Test object should be returned to the memory pool.
Is there a way to accomplish this?