A bit confused with the probability between categorical target and one-hot encoding target from OneVsRestClassifier of sklean. Using iris data with simple logistic regression as an example. When I use original iris class[0,1,2], the calculated OneVsRestClassifier() probability for each observation will always add up to 1. However, if I converted the target to dummies, this is not the case. I understand that OneVsRestClassifier() compares one vs rest (class 0 vs non class 0, class 1 vs non class 1, etc). It makes more sense that the sum of these probabilities has no relation with 1. Then why I see the difference and how so?
import numpy as np
import pandas as pd
from sklearn.multiclass import OneVsRestClassifier
from sklearn.linear_model import LogisticRegression
from sklearn import datasets
np.set_printoptions(suppress=True)
iris = datasets.load_iris()
rng = np.random.RandomState(0)
perm = rng.permutation(iris.target.size)
X = iris.data[perm]
y = iris.target[perm]
# categorical target with no conversion
X_train, y_train1 = X[:80], y[:80]
X_test, y_test1 = X[80:], y[80:]
m3 = LogisticRegression(random_state=0)
clf1 = OneVsRestClassifier(m3).fit(X_train, y_train1)
y_pred1 = clf1.predict(X_test)
print(np.sum(y_pred1 == y_test))
y_prob1 = clf1.predict_proba(X_test)
y_prob1[:5]
#output
array([[0.00014508, 0.17238549, 0.82746943],
[0.03850173, 0.79646817, 0.1650301 ],
[0.73981106, 0.26018067, 0.00000827],
[0.00016332, 0.32231163, 0.67752505],
[0.00029197, 0.2495404 , 0.75016763]])
# one hot encoding for categorical target
y2 = pd.get_dummies(y)
y_train2 = y2[:80]
y_test2 = y2[80:]
clf2 = OneVsRestClassifier(m3).fit(X_train, y_train2)
y_pred2 = clf2.predict(X_test)
y_prob2 = clf2.predict_proba(X_test)
y_prob2[:5]
#output
array([[0.00017194, 0.20430011, 0.98066319],
[0.02152246, 0.44522562, 0.09225181],
[0.96277892, 0.3385952 , 0.00001076],
[0.00023024, 0.45436925, 0.95512082],
[0.00036849, 0.31493725, 0.94676348]])