The rte_eth_tx_burst() function is documented as:
* It is the responsibility of the rte_eth_tx_burst() function to
* transparently free the memory buffers of packets previously sent.
* This feature is driven by the *tx_free_thresh* value supplied to the
* rte_eth_dev_configure() function at device configuration time.
* When the number of free TX descriptors drops below this threshold, the
* rte_eth_tx_burst() function must [attempt to] free the *rte_mbuf* buffers
* of those packets whose transmission was effectively completed.
I have a small test program where this doesn't seem to hold true (when using the ixgbe driver on a vfio X553 1GbE NIC).
So my program sets up one transmit queue like this:
uint16_t tx_ring_size = 1024-32;
rte_eth_dev_configure(port_id, 0, 1, &port_conf);
r = rte_eth_dev_adjust_nb_rx_tx_desc(port_id, &rx_ring_size, &tx_ring_size);
struct rte_eth_txconf txconf = dev_info.default_txconf;
r = rte_eth_tx_queue_setup(port_id, 0, tx_ring_size,
rte_eth_dev_socket_id(port_id), &txconf);
The transmit mbuf packet pool is created like this:
struct rte_mempool *pkt_pool = rte_pktmbuf_pool_create("pkt_pool", 1023, 341, 0,
RTE_MBUF_DEFAULT_BUF_SIZE, rte_socket_id());
In that way, when sending packets I rather run out of TX descriptors before I run out of packet buffers. (the program generates packets with just one segment)
My expectation is that when I call rte_eth_tx_burst() in a loop (to send one packet after another) that it never fails since it transparently frees mbufs of already sent packets.
However, this doesn't happen.
I basically have a transmit loop like this:
for (unsigned i = 0; i < 2048; ++i) {
struct rte_mbuf *pkt = rte_pktmbuf_alloc(args.pkt_pool);
// error check, prepare packet etc.
uint16_t l = rte_eth_tx_burst(args.port_id, 0, &pkt, 1);
// error check etc.
}
After 1086 transmitted packets (of ~ 300 bytes each), rte_eth_tx_burst() returns 0.
I use the default threshold values, i.e. the queried values are (from dev_info.default_txconf):
tx thresh : 32
tx rs thresh: 32
wthresh : 0
So the main question now is: How hard is rte_eth_tx_burst() supposed to try to free mbuf buffers (and thus descriptors)?
I mean, it could busy loop until the transmission of previously supplied mbufs is completed.
Or it could just quickly check if some descriptors are free again. But if not, just give up.
Related question: Are the default threshold values appropriate for this use case?
So I work around this like that:
for (;;) {
uint16_t l = rte_eth_tx_burst(args.port_id, 0, &pkt, 1);
if (l == 1) {
break;
} else {
RTE_LOG(ERR, USER1, "cannot send packet\n");
int r = rte_eth_tx_done_cleanup(args.port_id, 0, 256);
if (r < 0) {
rte_panic("%u. cannot cleanup tx descs: %s\n", i, rte_strerror(-r));
}
RTE_LOG(WARNING, USER1, "%u. cleaned up %d descriptors ...\n", i, r);
}
}
With that I get output like this:
USER1: cannot send packet
USER1: 1086. cleaned up 32 descriptors ...
USER1: cannot send packet
USER1: 1118. cleaned up 32 descriptors ...
USER1: cannot send packet
USER1: 1150. cleaned up 0 descriptors ...
USER1: cannot send packet
USER1: 1182. cleaned up 0 descriptors ...
[..]
USER1: cannot send packet
USER1: 1950. cleaned up 32 descriptors ...
USER1: cannot send packet
USER1: 1982. cleaned up 0 descriptors ...
USER1: cannot send packet
USER1: 2014. cleaned up 0 descriptors ...
USER1: cannot send packet
USER1: 2014. cleaned up 32 descriptors ...
USER1: cannot send packet
USER1: 2046. cleaned up 32 descriptors ...
Meaning that it frees at most 32 descriptors like this. And that it doesn't always succeed, but then the next rte_eth_tx_burst() succeeds freeing some.
Side question: Is there a better more dpdk-idiomatic way to handle the recycling of mbufs?
When I change the code such that I run out of mbufs before I run out of transmit descriptors (i.e. tx ring created with 1024 descriptors, mbuf pool still has 1023 elements), I have to change the alloc part like this:
struct rte_mbuf *pkt;
do {
pkt = rte_pktmbuf_alloc(args.pkt_pool);
if (!pkt) {
r = rte_eth_tx_done_cleanup(args.port_id, 0, 256);
if (r < 0) {
rte_panic("%u. cannot cleanup tx descs: %s\n", i, rte_strerror(-r));
}
RTE_LOG(WARNING, USER1, "%u. cleaned up %d descriptors ...\n", i, r);
}
} while (!pkt);
The output is similar, e.g.:
USER1: 1023. cleaned up 95 descriptors ...
USER1: 1118. cleaned up 32 descriptors ...
USER1: 1150. cleaned up 32 descriptors ...
USER1: 1182. cleaned up 32 descriptors ...
USER1: 1214. cleaned up 0 descriptors ...
USER1: 1214. cleaned up 0 descriptors ...
USER1: 1214. cleaned up 32 descriptors ...
[..]
That means the freeing of descriptors/mbufs is so 'slow' that it has to busy loop up to 3 times.
Again, is this a valid approach, or are there better dpdk ways to solve this?
Since rte_eth_tx_done_cleanup() might return -ENOTSUP, this may point to the direction that my usage of it might not be the best solution.
Incidentally, even with the ixgbe driver it fails for me when I disable checksum offloads!
Apparently, ixgbe_dev_tx_done_cleanup() then invokes ixgbe_tx_done_cleanup_vec() instead of ixgbe_tx_done_cleanup_full() which unconditionally returns -ENOTSUP:
static int
ixgbe_tx_done_cleanup_vec(struct ixgbe_tx_queue *txq __rte_unused,
uint32_t free_cnt __rte_unused)
{
return -ENOTSUP;
}
Does this make sense?
So then perhaps the better strategy is then to make sure that there are less descriptors than pool elements (e.g. 1024-32 < 1023) and just re-call rte_eth_tx_burst() until it returns one?
That means like this:
for (;;) {
uint16_t l = rte_eth_tx_burst(args.port_id, 0, &pkt, 1);
if (l == 1) {
break;
} else {
RTE_LOG(ERR, USER1, "%u. cannot send packet - retry\n", i);
}
}
This works, and the output shows again that the descriptors are freed 32 at a time, e.g.:
USER1: 1951. cannot send packet - retry
USER1: 1951. cannot send packet - retry
USER1: 1983. cannot send packet - retry
USER1: 1983. cannot send packet - retry
USER1: 2015. cannot send packet - retry
USER1: 2015. cannot send packet - retry
USER1: 2047. cannot send packet - retry
USER1: 2047. cannot send packet - retry
I know that I also can use rte_eth_tx_burst() to submit bigger bursts. But I want to get the simple/edge cases right and understand the dpdk semantics, first.
I'm on Fedora 33 and DPDK 20.11.2.