I'm new to Jest and the testing library. I have a NavbarContainer component that renders one button or another depending on a variable (menuOpen) that it's being changed with a function. I have already checked that the variable changes its value after the fireEvent, however, it seems like the component it's not updating. What am I doing wrong?
Here there is my component
export const NavbarContainer = ({functionality, menuOpen, activeLink}) => {
return (
<div className="navbar-container">
{ menuOpen && <Navbar functionality={functionality} activeLink={activeLink}/> }
{ menuOpen && <Button text="navbar.back" functionality={functionality}></Button> }
{ !menuOpen && <Button text="navbar.menu" functionality={functionality} modificator="back"></Button> }
</div>
);
};
Here is the button
export const Button = ({ text, type = "button", functionality, disabled = false}) => {
return (
<button onClick={functionality} type={type} disabled={disabled}>{i18n.t(text)}</button>
);
};
Here are the values and functions I am passing to the NavbarContainer component
const [menuOpen, setMenuOpen] = useState(false);
const [activeLink, setActiveLink] = useState("");
const openMenu = (link) => {
setMenuOpen(!menuOpen);
setActiveLink(link.toString());
};
Here are my tests
describe("NavbarContainer", () => {
i18n.changeLanguage('cimode');
let component;
let menuOpen = true;
const openMenu = () => {
menuOpen = !menuOpen;
};
beforeEach(() => {
component = render(
<BrowserRouter basename="/">
<NavbarContainer menuOpen={menuOpen} functionality={openMenu} activeLink=""/>
</BrowserRouter>
);
});
it("after click the menu button is shown", async () => {
const backButton = component.queryByText("navbar.back");
await fireEvent.click(backButton);
const menuButton = await component.queryByText("navbar.menu");
expect(menuButton).toBeInTheDocument();
});
});
Here is the error I'm getting
expect(received).toBeInTheDocument()
the received value must be an HTMLElement or an SVG element.
Received has value: null