I am trying to create this 5 bit up counter using (rising edge) D Flip-Flops with Reset and CK enable using VHDL but the return value is always undefined no matter what I do. I can verify that the flip-flop operates perfectly. Inspect the code below:
DFF.vhd
library IEEE;
use IEEE.std_logic_1164.all;
entity DFFis
port(
D: in std_logic; -- Data input
C: in std_logic; -- Clock input
CE: in std_logic; -- Clock enable
CLR: in std_logic; -- Asynchronous reset
Q: out std_logic -- Data output
);
end DFF;
architecture arch of DFF is
signal q_i: std_logic;
begin
process(C, CE, CLR)
begin
if (CLR='1') then
Q<='0';
elsif (rising_edge(C)) and (CE ='1') then
Q<=D;
end if;
end process;
end arch;
counter.vhd
library IEEE;
use IEEE.std_logic_1164.all;
entity counter is
port (
C: in std_logic;
CLR: in std_logic;
bits: out std_logic_vector(4 downto 0)
);
end counter;
architecture arch of counter is
component DFF
port(
D: in std_logic; -- Data input
C: in std_logic; -- Clock input
CE: in std_logic; -- Clock enable
CLR: in std_logic; -- Asynchronouse reset
Q: out std_logic -- Data output
);
end component;
signal q: std_logic_vector(4 downto 0);
signal nq: std_logic_vector(4 downto 0);
begin
bits<=q;
q(0) <= '1';
nq <= not q;
DFF0: DFF port map (
D=>nq(0),
C=>C,
CE=>'1',
CLR=>CLR,
Q=>q(0)
);
DFF1: DFF port map (
D=>nq(1),
C=>nq(0),
CE=>'1',
CLR=>CLR,
Q=>q(1)
);
DFF2: DFF port map (
D=>nq(2),
C=>nq(1),
CE=>'1',
CLR=>CLR,
Q=>q(2)
);
DFF3: DFF port map (
D=>nq(3),
C=>nq(2),
CE=>'1',
CLR=>CLR,
Q=>q(3)
);
DFF4: DFF port map (
D=>nq(4),
C=>nq(3),
CE=>'1',
CLR=>CLR,
Q=>q(4)
);
end arch;
And for testing purposes, counter_TB.vhd
library IEEE;
use IEEE.std_logic_1164.all;
entity counter_TB is
end counter_TB;
architecture arch of counter_TB is
component counter
port(
C: in std_logic;
CLR: in std_logic;
bits: out std_logic_vector(4 downto 0)
);
end component;
signal C: std_logic:='0';
signal CLR: std_logic:='0';
signal bits: std_logic_vector(4 downto 0);
begin
test: counter port map (C=>C, CLR=>CLR, bits=>bits);
process
begin
C<='1'; CLR<='0';
wait for 1 us;
C<='0'; CLR<='0';
wait for 1 us;
C<='1'; CLR<='0';
wait for 1 us;
end process;
end arch;
When running the test bench, I get the following result on loop (I know why it loops, that isn't the issue):
I have tried initializing the signal q to "00000" and "00001" but the result was the same.
