Simulate wait's command -n flag in zsh

Viewed 338

I am creating two shell jobs as follows

sleep 5 &
completion_pid=$!

sleep 40 && exit 1 &
failure_pid=$! 

In bash I am able to get the exit code of the first job to finish by using the -n flag of wait's command

# capture exit code of the first subprocess to exit
wait -n $completion_pid $failure_pid

It seems however that this flag is not available in my MacOS Big Sur's version of wait (probably cause I am using zsh - ? )

▶ wait -n
wait: job not found: -n

Are there any alternative tools to do this that are also available on MacOS?

What perhaps is weird is that I am getting the same error when invoking a script containing wait -n as bash myscript.sh...

1 Answers

Since you are waiting by specifying PIDs, you can simply do a

 wait $completion_pid $failure_pid
Related