We have a bunch of health checks against third-party services. We want them to run periodically because when they go down it affects our app just like a bug in our code. Knowing that "it's them not us" reduces significant troubleshooting time.
We've set this health check up via github actions with a scheduled run, but we want a HealthCheck per third-party service. That way, the slack message on failure will be very specific of what is down. But that is going to create a lot of duplicated yml content.
I discovered something called github composite actions and it seems to be intended for solving this problem, but I can't find information about whether or not a composite action can live in a private repository.
The documentation of the uses key only mentions public repositories when it mentions repositories at all. Is there a way to make a composite action in a private repository and use it?
I tried making their hello world example, ran it, and it ran correctly. Then I made the action repo private, and the repo using the action's build failed saying:
Unable to resolve action `user/repo@v1`, repository not found