I'd like to understand the difference between using a pointer and a value when it comes to referencing a struct inside another struct.
By that I mean, I can have those two declarations:
struct foo {
int bar;
};
struct fred {
struct foo barney;
struct foo *wilma;
}
It appears I can get the same behavior from both barney and wilma entries, as long as I de-reference accordingly when I access them. The barney case intuitively feels “wrong” but I cannot say why.
Am I just relying on some C undefined behavior? If not, what would be the reason(s) to opt for one style over the other?
The following code shows how I come to the conclusion both use cases are equivalent; neither clang nor gcc complain about anything.
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
struct a_number {
int i;
};
struct s_w_ptr {
struct a_number *n;
};
struct s_w_val {
struct a_number n;
};
void store_via_ptr(struct s_w_ptr *swp, struct s_w_val *swv) {
struct a_number *i = malloc(sizeof(i));
i->i = 1;
swp->n = i;
swv->n = *i;
}
void store_via_val(struct s_w_ptr *swp, struct s_w_val *swv) {
struct a_number j;
j.i = 2;
swp->n = &j;
swv->n = j;
}
int main(void) {
struct s_w_ptr *swp = malloc(sizeof(swp));
struct s_w_val *swv = malloc(sizeof(swv));
store_via_ptr(swp, swv);
printf("p: %d | v: %d\n", swp->n->i, swv->n.i);
store_via_val(swp, swv);
printf("p: %d | v: %d\n", swp->n->i, swv->n.i);
}