I appreciate the title is not very well written but its a little difficult to explain my issue succinctly...
I'm creating an Android app and I've got a custom chart view that has a little popup that should be able go outside the bounds of the chart view itself and will position itself based on where you select on the line chart.
I'm having trouble getting this to work when I have more than 1 parent view group in the hierarchy. This is my layout xml:
<androidx.constraintlayout.widget.ConstraintLayout xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
xmlns:app="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res-auto"
xmlns:tools="http://schemas.android.com/tools"
android:layout_width="match_parent"
android:layout_height="match_parent"
android:clipChildren="false"
android:clipToPadding="false">
<androidx.cardview.widget.CardView
android:layout_width="0dp"
android:layout_height="wrap_content"
android:clipChildren="false"
android:clipToPadding="false"
app:layout_constraintEnd_toEndOf="parent"
app:layout_constraintStart_toStartOf="parent"
app:layout_constraintTop_toTopOf="parent">
<com.myapp.ui.views.chart.line.LineChartView
android:id="@+id/lineChartView"
android:layout_width="match_parent"
android:layout_height="228dp"
app:layout_constraintBottom_toBottomOf="parent"
app:layout_constraintEnd_toEndOf="parent"
app:layout_constraintStart_toStartOf="parent"
app:layout_constraintTop_toTopOf="parent" />
</androidx.cardview.widget.CardView>
</androidx.constraintlayout.widget.ConstraintLayout>
if I remove the CardView so there is just the ConstraintLayout as the parent, it works. If I make the CardView bigger in the Y direction it allows enough space to draw the popup on the extra card space. But as it like this, it doesnt work.
It's kind of like it only allows you to draw up the hierarchy once onto the parent but not again onto the grandparent view.
How do I allow it to draw over the top of any and all parent views so its like a true "popup"?
Hope that makes sense