Using Dask throws ImportError when run inside SageMath

Viewed 59

Recently, I have been trying to parallelize some Sage (Sage 9.4 on a MacBook Pro running OSX 11.2.3) code using Dask. The problem I run into is that while I can run Dask inside Sage, it will break whenever I include any code that isn't "pure python." In particular, it keeps throwing an ImportError. Here is a basic example of what I am running into

import time
from dask import delayed
from dask.distributed import Client
from time import sleep

client = Client(n_workers=4)

def Hello():
    1+1 #this line breaks things by adding a sage operation
    #if I remove it the code runs fine
    return 'Hello World'

z = delayed(Hello)()
z.compute()

This code throws the following error

Traceback

ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call last)
<timed eval> in <module>

~/.sage/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/dask/base.py in compute(self, **kwargs)
    284         dask.base.compute
    285         """
--> 286         (result,) = compute(self, traverse=False, **kwargs)
    287         return result
    288 

~/.sage/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/dask/base.py in compute(*args, **kwargs)
    566         postcomputes.append(x.__dask_postcompute__())
    567 
--> 568     results = schedule(dsk, keys, **kwargs)
    569     return repack([f(r, *a) for r, (f, a) in zip(results, postcomputes)])
    570 

~/.sage/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/distributed/client.py in get(self, dsk, keys, workers, allow_other_workers, resources, sync, asynchronous, direct, retries, priority, fifo_timeout, actors, **kwargs)
   2669                     should_rejoin = False
   2670             try:
-> 2671                 results = self.gather(packed, asynchronous=asynchronous, direct=direct)
   2672             finally:
   2673                 for f in futures.values():

~/.sage/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/distributed/client.py in gather(self, futures, errors, direct, asynchronous)
   1946             else:
   1947                 local_worker = None
-> 1948             return self.sync(
   1949                 self._gather,
   1950                 futures,

~/.sage/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/distributed/client.py in sync(self, func, asynchronous, callback_timeout, *args, **kwargs)
    843             return future
    844         else:
--> 845             return sync(
    846                 self.loop, func, *args, callback_timeout=callback_timeout, **kwargs
    847             )

~/.sage/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/distributed/utils.py in sync(loop, func, callback_timeout, *args, **kwargs)
    324     if error[0]:
    325         typ, exc, tb = error[0]
--> 326         raise exc.with_traceback(tb)
    327     else:
    328         return result[0]

~/.sage/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/distributed/utils.py in f()
    307             if callback_timeout is not None:
    308                 future = asyncio.wait_for(future, callback_timeout)
--> 309             result[0] = yield future
    310         except Exception:
    311             error[0] = sys.exc_info()

/var/tmp/sage-9.4-current/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/tornado/gen.py in run(self)
    733 
    734                     try:
--> 735                         value = future.result()
    736                     except Exception:
    737                         exc_info = sys.exc_info()

~/.sage/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/distributed/client.py in _gather(self, futures, errors, direct, local_worker)
   1811                             exc = CancelledError(key)
   1812                         else:
-> 1813                             raise exception.with_traceback(traceback)
   1814                         raise exc
   1815                     if errors == "skip":

~/.sage/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/distributed/protocol/pickle.py in loads()
     73             return pickle.loads(x, buffers=buffers)
     74         else:
---> 75             return pickle.loads(x)
     76     except Exception:
     77         logger.info("Failed to deserialize %s", x[:10000], exc_info=True)

/var/tmp/sage-9.4-current/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/sage/rings/integer.pyx in init sage.rings.integer (build/cythonized/sage/rings/integer.c:54201)()
----> 1 r"""
      2 Elements of the ring `\ZZ` of integers
      3 
      4 Sage has highly optimized and extensive functionality for arithmetic with integers
      5 and the ring of integers.

/var/tmp/sage-9.4-current/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/sage/rings/rational.pyx in init sage.rings.rational (build/cythonized/sage/rings/rational.cpp:40442)()
     98 
     99 
--> 100 import sage.rings.real_mpfr
    101 import sage.rings.real_double
    102 from libc.stdint cimport uint64_t

/var/tmp/sage-9.4-current/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/sage/rings/real_mpfr.pyx in init sage.rings.real_mpfr (build/cythonized/sage/rings/real_mpfr.c:46795)()
----> 1 r"""
      2 Arbitrary Precision Real Numbers
      3 
      4 AUTHORS:
      5 

/var/tmp/sage-9.4-current/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/sage/libs/mpmath/utils.pyx in init sage.libs.mpmath.utils (build/cythonized/sage/libs/mpmath/utils.c:9062)()
----> 1 """
      2 Utilities for Sage-mpmath interaction
      3 
      4 Also patches some mpmath functions for speed
      5 """

/var/tmp/sage-9.4-current/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/sage/rings/complex_mpfr.pyx in init sage.rings.complex_mpfr (build/cythonized/sage/rings/complex_mpfr.c:34594)()
----> 1 """
      2 Arbitrary Precision Floating Point Complex Numbers
      3 
      4 AUTHORS:
      5 

/var/tmp/sage-9.4-current/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/sage/rings/complex_double.pyx in init sage.rings.complex_double (build/cythonized/sage/rings/complex_double.c:25284)()
     96 from cypari2.convert cimport new_gen_from_double, new_t_COMPLEX_from_double
     97 
---> 98 from . import complex_mpfr
     99 
    100 from .complex_mpfr import ComplexField

ImportError: cannot import name complex_mpfr


The only other time I have seen an ImportError like this is when I have been running sage inside python and did not include a from sage.all import *, so I am wondering if what is happening is that Dask is trying to run my code in python. I'm also not sure whether this qualifies as a Sage or a Dask problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Answers
Related