Error: Cannot install on Intel processor in ARM default prefix (/opt/homebrew)

Viewed 1483

When trying brew install commands, I get the following error:

Error: Cannot install on Intel processor in ARM default prefix (/opt/homebrew)!

I looked around StackOverflow but most questions/answers talk about Apple M1 chip computers having this issue. My problem however is on an Intel Macbook Pro.

I think the reason for this issue is the following... I reset my MBP and using the Apple migration assistant I copied the files, folders, settings ... of my Apple Mac Mini (with M1 chip).

1 Answers

You copied the /opt/homebrew folder from m1 mac to intel mac. So when you are running the brew install command, it will try to install it in /opt/homebrew path which is specific to m1.

You have to remove brew from the /opt/homebrew location and install it in /usr/local/homebrew/ (which is default for intel-based macs). Then you can install any tools.

Related