I have a multi index df with two levels of index like this:
dfx = pd.DataFrame(np.random.rand(4, 2),
index=[['a', 'a', 'b', 'b'], ['aa', 'zz', 'gg', 'zz']],
columns=['data1', 'data2'])
dfx
data1 data2
a aa 0.847741 0.723235
zz 0.236876 0.343141
b gg 0.759153 0.546190
zz 0.481285 0.600514
I want to change the index labels only where the first level index has a specific value. i.e. Change the zz index only where the first label is b
Objective, get:
data1 data2
a aa 0.847741 0.723235
zz 0.236876 0.343141
b gg 0.759153 0.546190
water 0.481285 0.600514
If I use .rename() all of the indexes matching get changed
dfx.rename(index={('zz') : 'water'}, inplace = True)
dfx
data1 data2
a aa 0.847741 0.723235
water 0.236876 0.343141
b gg 0.759153 0.546190
water 0.481285 0.600514
I've tried the following code lines but this doesn't seem to do anything.
dfx.loc['b','zz'].rename(index={'zz' : 'water'}, inplace = True)
dfx.loc['b'].rename(index={'zz' : 'water'}, inplace = True)
I consulted the documentation and I've struggled to find a solution. What am I doing wrong here?