Enterprise Service Bus - UML diagrams

Viewed 153

I have to present our latest IT system integration with Enterprise Service Bus including our Order/Invoice etc flows. However I have no idea which diagram/connections should I use. In simple words our flow looks like Order -> API -> ESB -> ERP ERP -> Invoice -> ESB -> API -> Client Each system has to do something with the input. Any hint would help me. I have already tried to use Class Diagram to present defined data structures and dependiencies + methods(presenting operations per system) on the other hand I am thinking about component diagram if it could be accurate for such presentation.

1 Answers

The class diagram will indeed model the static structure of the domain object, such as Order, Invoice, Customer and how they relate to each other.

If you want to show the flows, i.e what happens when in which component of your super-system, the best way would be to use an activity diagram with partitions for the front-end, the ESB and the ERP. Activity diagrams allow in particular to show object flows and buffers. A non-UML alternative for this is BPMN, but the expressivity of both notation is comparable.

If you want to show the details of the APIs, then you’d better think of sequence diagrams that allow to precisely model exchange of messages between different instances of classes or components.

Related