I'm currently trying to write a program to determine if a line is going through the area of a square of 4 points and I'm searching for a formula. I only found solutions for 3-dimensional planes with vectors and tried to apply them to my situation by calculating with pen and paper but I always seem to hit a dead end when a third value is being needed.
I think the best way to approach it is to calculate the distance of the line to the square. Which would be 0 if it is passing through (a part of it) obviously. But I can't seem to find the right words for the google and stack overflow search since this seems too basic to not have been answered before.
If anyone has a link or a suggestion on how to calculate this I would be really thankful.
For my formula testing I've been working with these simple values:
Line:
l = (0 , 0) + s * (10, 10)
Points of the Square:
A (5, 5)
B (6, 5)
C (6, 6)
D (5, 6)
EDIT: Using the function of the reply I marked as the answer I got it to work. A problem I had was getting the correct input for the function. The variables a, b and c. This is how I got them in the end:
var a = 1 / x2
var b = -(1 / y2)
var c = y1/y2 - x1/x2