Why can't I import requests in VS Code?

Viewed 48187

I want to use request module, but whenever I tried to import requests I got this message:

import "requests" could not be resolved from source Pylance

I already used pip to install the requests module, but I still receive this error message.

9 Answers

Have you made sure that you have installed the module by running

pip install requests

or

pip3 install requests

Additionally, you can tell VS Code to use different Python-interpreter in your system. I e.g. had the same problem, that VS Code code check gave me the warning, that I don't have the module requests installed, but when I run the python script it worked anyhow. That's why I believe that the python code check in VS Code can use different Python versions and related python packages than your system use when you run the code.

What helped me in order to get rid of the VS Code error message, choosing a different Python from here:

Screenshot of VS Code IDE. Change Python version for code check

I got the same error and solved it with this:

import pip._vendor.requests 

If you are experiencing this problem on Windows, look at the installed extensions. I had this problem on both of my Windows machines. I noted that I had two extensions installed: Pylance & Intellisense (Pylance). Uninstalling Pylance and keeping intellisense (Pylance) solved the problem.

Try choosing the python interpreter manually. Choose view - select interpreter - enter interpreter path - choose the python folder - app then python application. This should work

From VS code terminal set venv - C:\Python310\python.exe -m venv 'PATH_TO_VENV\.venv\'

After this verify packages are available

pip list

if required:

pip install requests

This solved my problem

I had the same problem with importing requests and BeautifulSoup packages. When I tried to install them by pip install requests and pip install beautifulsoup4 I got the message that said "Requirement already satisfied: beautifulsoup4 in c:\programdata\anaconda3\lib\site-packages (4.9.3)". So the way I solved this issue was by directly installing these packages to the version of Python I am currently using.

pip3.10.exe install requests
pip3.10.exe install beautifulsoup4

You can replace the part "3.10.exe" with your current version of Python.

I had this - and noticed that my workspace wasn't trusted.

This doesn't allow the pylance extension to check what modules are installed. Setting the workspace to trusted (bottom left on the status bar where it says restricted) allowed pylance to check for installed modules.

Failing this, other answers may apply.

The solution is to change the interpreter. I solved this conflict by going to 3.8.8 (conda) from 3.9.9 (windows).

  1. Open interpreters
  2. Try all of them one by one

The problem is you might have installed the module in one env and not in the other one, so either install in each or try each of them!

Click on bottom-left:

enter image description here

Related