I want to know if it's possible to use a BLE module for both mesh networking and point-to-point connections at the same time.
Rationale:
The embedded linux (EL) product that I am designing needs to be able to connect to BLE peripherals like a heart rate monitor (sports grade, not medical) and the product needs to communicate with others of its kind.
I also need a very low power way of sending data from all EL devices to the internet. Ideally with only one of the products supplying a connection to the internet.
I am open to other solutions or reasons why this might not be a good approach even if it's possible.
Here is a rough block diagram of what I'm trying to achieve:
The block diagram does not show a HR connected to every EL device, however this would be a possibility as well.
Green = Embedded Linux Devices
Red = Heart Rate Monitors
Blue = An internet connection to the cloud
Yellow = connections between Embedded Devices
Option 1 - WiFi
The first option I considered was a wifi connection between the EL devices, however this will consume much more power than BLE.
Option 2 - BLE mesh
Using a BLE mesh seems like the best solution, if and only if, it's possible to do point-to-point connection at the same time.