Cannot link gmp: library not found for -lgmp

Viewed 896

I'm trying to install fastecdsa on macOS BigSur (M1 chip) by running

(venv) $ pip3 install fastecdsa

and even though I previously installed gmp:

$ brew install gmp

it cant find the lib, no matter what I do

    src/curve.h:4:10: fatal error: 'gmp.h' file not found
    #include "gmp.h"

Although the error changed when I created a symlink

ln -s /opt/homebrew/include/gmp.h /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/include

and now I get:

    ld: library not found for -lgmp
    clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
    error: command '/usr/bin/gcc' failed with exit code 1

I also tried:

  • passing the path via env CFLAGS, LDFLAGS and both via global env export (export CFLAGS=...)
LDFLAGS=-L/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/lib pip3 install fastecdsa
CFLAGS=-I/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/include pip3 install fastecdsa
  • xcode-select --install
  • endlessly brew uninstall gmp and brew install gmp, even brew reinstall gmp and brew unlink gmp
  • installing rosetta2
  • turning it off and on again

I can't put my finger on it :(

2 Answers

You may have resolved this by now, but just to say that I ran into something similar, and the solution for me was to tell ld to look in the homebrew library path. Run this/add it to ~/.profile:

export LIBRARY_PATH=$LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/homebrew/lib
export INCLUDE_PATH=$INCLUDE_PATH:/opt/homebrew/include

(I didn't need INCLUDE_PATH in my case, but it looks like you might!)

After that, perhaps your python commands will start working!

Related