I have a question regarding django rest framework.
Most of the time, I have a serializer which has some read-only fields. For example, consider this simple model below:
class PersonalMessage(models.Model):
sender = models.ForeignKey(User, related_name="sent_messages", ...)
recipient = models.ForeignKey(User, related_name="recieved_messages", ...)
text = models.CharField(...)
def __str__(self) -> str:
return f"{self.text} (sender={self.sender})"
In this model, the value of sender and recipient should be automatically provided by the application itself and the user shouldn't be able to edit those fields. Alright, now take a look at this serializer:
class PersonalMessageSerializer(serializers.ModelSerializer):
class Meta:
model = PersonalMessage
fields = '__all__'
read_only_fields = ('sender', 'recipient')
It perfectly prevents users from setting an arbitrary value on the sender and recipient fields. But the problem is, when these fields are marked as read-only in the serializer, the serializer will completely ignore all the values that are passed into the constructor for these fields. So when I try to create a model, no values would be set for these fields:
PersonalMessageSerializer(data={**request.data, 'sender': ..., 'recipient': ...) # Won't work
What's the best way to prevent users from setting an arbitrary value and at the same time auto-populate those restricted fields in django rest framework?