Ruby/Rails return with result if function call is returning something

Viewed 220

Please forgive me if this is something beginner level. I'm looking for a cleaner way of doing something like this,

def function
  return Books.all if Books.any?
  
  return BooksForeign.all if BooksForeign.any?

  nil
end

Since I'm basically duplicating the call, I was wondering if there's a simple and better way of doing this. I just want to return if there's anything returning with Books method or BooksForeign method as the method which expects a return doesn't care if it's Foreign Books or Not.

1 Answers
def function
  Books.all.presence || BooksForeign.all.presence
end

Object#presence is one of ActiveSupport's more useful core extensions to Ruby. It returns the object if its present? or nil otherwise. Empty collections are not present?.

If you had a whole list of classes you could use Enumerable#find which would return the first non-falsy value:

[Foo, Bar, Baz].find { |klass| klass.all.presence }
Related