I have been dipping my feet into programming and originally was making a simple macro in VBA to find a certain combination that sum to a given number when given a list of inputs. I imagined a number of tasks and minutes to do those tasks, and inputted a number of people to divide the minutes approximately equal between them. To give a concrete example, if I had eight tasks and three people, I might have the following variables:
M = [44,39,29,77,102,35,40,59]
N = 3
Avg = sum(M)/N
I want the program to be able to find the set of combinations for each person that sum closest to the average value. For instance in this example, I would like an output of something like:
A = [102, 40], B = [44,39,59], C = [29,77,35]
If anyone can at least lead me in the right direction with regards to this project, I would be grateful. While this began as an aside from a macro for an Excel sheet, I wouldn't mind if I learned more about optimization algorithms in a more suitable language like Python.