Getting "Debug session was finished without being paused" and no stop in execution when using Xdebug in PhpStorm

Viewed 501

I am trying to debug an issue in my web application using Xdebug 3.0 and PhpStorm 2021.1. I am set up on WSL2 using Debian 10 in which I installed Xdebug and used the following settings in /etc/php/7.3/fpm/conf.d/20-xdebug.ini:

zend_extension=xdebug.so                                                                                 xdebug.session=xdebug
xdebug.mode=debug
xdebug.start_with_request=yes
xdebug.client_host=XXX.XX.XXX.X
xdebug.client_port=9000
xdebug.max_nestling_level=10000
xdebug.log="/var/log/xdebug.log"
xdebug.idekey=xdebug

I am using Symfony 5.3 and when I was using symfony server:log to stream the logs I was getting multiple error messages of Xdebug: [Step Debug] Time-out connecting to debugging client, waited: 200 ms, but setting breakpoints would stop my web app correctly. After attempting a fix for this issue I am now getting the following error within PhpStorm:

"Debug session was finished without being paused It may be caused by path mappings misconfiguration or not synchronized local and remote projects."

Steps I've taken:

  • Set xdebug.start_with_request=trigger in 20-xdebug.ini according to Xdebug: [Step Debug] Time-out connecting to debugging client, waited: 200 ms. Tried: localhost:9003 which successfully fixed the time-out warning message
  • Added breakpoints to a controller
  • Enabled debugging in the Xdebug Chrome extension
  • Enabled listening for PHP debug connection in PhpStorm
  • Navigated to the view which should cause a hit on the breakpoint
  • Execution stopped on every view (even those without a breakpoint in the controller) and the PhpStorm Debugger terminal came up with an error message Click to set up path mappings
  • Selected the "Use path mappings" checkbox which removed the mapping error

What I was expecting:

  • For the execution of my web page and controller to stop during events where the breakpoint is being hit.

The actual result:

  • Every web page loads and the breakpoint doesn't stop execution (I tried additional breakpoints to be sure it wasn't an isolated issue)
  • I receive the "Debug session was finished without being paused" warning in the PhpStorm Event Log.

Further steps I have taken with no success:

  • Changing the trigger setting back to xdebug.start_with_request=yes
  • Adding the absolute path on the server in the path mapping settings

Supporting content:

Event Log message Event Log message

PhpStorm Xdebug Settings PhpStorm Xdebug Settings

Impact of my problem:

  • It's preventing me from diagnosing a CSRF issue within my web application which I need to amend to have a functional login form.

Thanks very much for your help!

1 Answers

I supplied a lot of detail in my question but it turned out to be a very simple answer... Classic!

For anyone else, all I did was invalidate the cache and restart PHPStorm

  1. Go to File > Invalidate Caches...
  2. Check "Clear downloaded shared indexes"
  3. Click Invalidate and Restart

The result:

  • Breakpoints now stop execution on the correct views

I hope this is helpful.

Related