spawning child process in electron: tracing back reply to original caller?

Viewed 52

In an electron application, I spawn a shell process proc to which the application then talks via pipes, i.e. proc.stdin.write("cmd_to_shell_proc") and proc.stdout.on("data", (data) => {//do sth with response}). The data contains particular tokens from which it is clear what command had been sent to the process. For most responses it is enough to know to which command they reply, but there is one command I send from two different components in my UI for which I would like to handle the responses differently, depending on the UI component that sent it. I currently process the responses on the basis of the string token contained in the data sent back from the process, and I have not found a way to propagate any information about the originally calling process into the data handling in proc.stdout.on("data", ...) .

Is there any way to attribute the data being returned from the shell process to the original caller of proc.stdin.write("<some command>")? Any suggestions or advice would be highly appreciated!

0 Answers
Related