I am validating the content for file import and I have an IsValid property for each line.
public class Header
{
public int LineNumber { get; set; }
public string Property1 { get; set; }
public string Property2 { get; set; }
public bool IsValid { get; set; }
}
public class Detail
{
public int LineNumber { get; set; }
public string Property1 { get; set; }
public string Property2 { get; set; }
public string Property3 { get; set; }
public bool IsValid { get; set; }
}
public class Trailer
{
public int LineNumber { get; set; }
public string Property1 { get; set; }
public bool IsValid { get; set; }
}
public class ImportFile
{
public Header Header { get; set; }
public List<Detail> Details { get; set; }
public Trailer Trailer { get; set; }
}
and my validators look somewhat like:
public class DetailValidator : AbstractValidator<Detail>
{
public DetailValidator()
{
RuleFor(d => d.Property1)
.Cascade(CascadeMode.Stop)
.NotEmpty()
.WithState(d => d.LineNumber)
.Length(3)
.WithState(d => d.LineNumber);
RuleFor(d => d.Property2)
.Cascade(CascadeMode.Stop)
.NotEmpty()
.WithState(d => d.LineNumber)
.MaximumLength(50)
.WithState(d => d.LineNumber);
...
}
}
public class ImportFileValidator : AbstractValidator<ImportFile>
{
public ImportFileValidator()
{
RuleFor(f => f.Header)
.SetValidator(new HeaderValidator());
RuleForEach(f => f.Details)
.SetValidator(new DetailsValidator());
...
}
}
After I call the validation, I wanted to set the IsValid property of each line of the file (be it header, detail or trailer) base from the result of the validation.
What is possible for now is, since I am using WithState to store the LineNumber, I can match the ValidationResult against the ImportFile instance to set each line's validity like below:
ImportFile file = // parsed file content
var result = new ImportFileValidator().Validate(file);
foreach (var detail in file.Details)
{
var error = result.Errors.FirstOrDefault(e =>
Convert.ToInt32(e.CustomState) == detail.LineNumber);
detail.IsValid = error == null;
}
And I have to check for the header and trailer as well.
Is there a way I can do this inside the validators? I am trying to explore the FluentValidation's documentation, but I can't seem to find what I needed there.