Get a value from user-secrets for use in the dotnet CLI

Viewed 170

How do I pull a value from user-secrets for use in a dotnet command?

The best I can do at the moment is:

$c = dotnet user-secrets list 

Shows me: AppSettings:MyConnectionString = "Value of the connection string"

$c.GetType() //tells me BaseType = System.Object, Name = String, etc.

Now I can potentially try to extract the value of the connection string but that doesn't seem like a good way to do it.

I want to use the user-secret in the command:

dotnet ef dbcontext scaffold <MyConnectionString> Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.SqlServer -o Models

If I enter it in manually, then the database credentials will be stored in the command line history and I will get a warning in Visual Studio about how to protect potentially sensitive information by including it in my configuration file. However, I want to use user-secrets for development rather than adding the connection string to my configuration file.

0 Answers
Related