I am trying to pass an image uploaded from a react app through express to a managed s3 bucket. The platform/host I am using creates and manages the s3 bucket and generates upload and access urls. This all works fine (I have tested a generated upload url in postman with an image in a binary body and it worked perfectly).
My problem is passing the image through express. I am using multer to get the image from the form but I am assuming multer is turning that image into some kind of file object and s3 is expecting some sort of blob or stream.
In following code, the image in req.file exists, I get a 200 response from s3 with no errors and when I visit the asset url the url works, but the image itself is missing.
const router = Router();
const upload = multer()
router.post('/', upload.single('file'), async (req, res) => {
console.log(req.file)
const asset = req.file
const assetPath = req.headers['asset-path']
let s3URLs = await getPresignedURLS(assetPath)
const sendAsset = await fetch(
s3URLs.urls[0].upload_url, // the s3 upload url
{
method: 'PUT',
headers: {
"Content-Type": asset.mimetype
},
body: asset,
redirect: 'follow'
}
)
console.log("s3 response", sendAsset)
res.status(200).json({"url": s3URLs.urls[0].access_url });
});
export default router;
I am not sure what to do to convert what multer gives me to something that aws s3 will accept. I am also open to getting rid of multer if there is an easier way to upload binary files to express.