I have a specific scenario where I'd like to have a deployment controlled by horizontal pod autoscaling. To handle database migrations in pods when pushing a new deployment, I followed this excellent tutorial by Andrew Lock here.
In short, you must define an initContainer that waits for a Kubernetes Job to complete a process (like running db migrations) before the new pods can run.
This works well, however, I'm not sure how to handle HPA after the initial deployment because if the system detects the need to add another Pod in my node, the initContainer defined in my deployment requires a Job to be deployed and run, but since Jobs are one-off processes, the pod can not initialize and run properly (a ttlSecondsAfterFinished attribute removes the Job anyways).
How can I define an initContainer to run when I deploy my app so I can push my database migrations in a Job, but also allow HPA to control dynamically adding a Pod without needing an initContainer?
Here's what my deployment looks like:
apiVersion: apps/v1
kind: Deployment
metadata:
name: graphql-deployment
spec:
replicas: 1
selector:
matchLabels:
app: graphql-pod
template:
metadata:
labels:
app: graphql-pod
spec:
initContainers:
- name: wait-for-graphql-migration-job
image: groundnuty/k8s-wait-for:v1.4 # This is an image that waits for a process to complete
args:
- job
- graphql-migration-job # this job is defined next
containers:
- name: graphql-container
image: image(graphql):tag(graphql)
The following Job is also deployed
apiVersion: batch/v1
kind: Job
metadata:
name: graphql-migration-job
spec:
ttlSecondsAfterFinished: 30
template:
spec:
containers:
- name: graphql-migration-container
image: image(graphql):tag(graphql)
command: ["npm", "run", "migrate:reset"]
restartPolicy: Never
So basically what happens is:
- I deploy these two resources to my node
Jobis initializedinitContaineronPodwaits forJobto complete using an image calledgroundnuty/k8s-wait-for:v1.4JobcompletesinitContainercompletesPodinitializes- (after 30 TTL seconds)
Jobis removed from node
(LOTS OF TRAFFIC)
- HPA realizes a need for another pod
initContainerfor NEW pod is started, but cant run becauseJobdoesn't exist- ...crashLoopBackOff
Would love any insight on the proper way to handle this scenario!