I have a source.txt file like below containing two columns of data. The format of the columns of source.txt include [ ] (square bracket) as shown in my source.txt:
[hot] [water]
[16] [boots and, juice]
and I have another target.txt file and contain empty lines plus full stops at the end of each line:
the weather is today (foo) but we still have (bar).
= (
the next bus leaves at (foo) pm, we can't forget to take the (bar).
I want to do replace foo of each nth line of target.txt with the "respective contents" of the first column of source.txt, and also replace bar of each nth line of target.txt with the "respective contents" of the second column of source. txt.
i tried to search other sources and understand how i would do it, at first i already have a command that i use to replace "replace each nth occurrence of 'foo' by numerically respective nth line of a supplied file" but i couldn't adapt it:
awk 'NR==FNR {a[NR]=$0; next} /foo/{gsub("foo", a[++i])} 1' source.txt target.txt > output.txt;
I remember seeing a way to use gsub with containing two columns of data but I don't remember what exactly the difference was.
EDIT POST: sometimes read with some symbols between them = and ( and ) within the target.txt text. I added this symbol as some answers will not work if these symbols are in the target.txt file
Note: the number of target.txt lines and therefore the number of occurrences of bar and foo in this file can vary, I just showed a sample. But the number of occurrences of both foo and bar in each row is 1 respectively.