Lets do a bit of time testing:
In [135]: data = np.ones((100,100,100,100)); idx = (50,50,50,50)
That's nearly a Gb of memory - not huge enough to create a memory error, but still should be a reasonable test. Actually, I get the same time for basic indexing for much smaller arrays. And for other idx values
In [136]: timeit data[idx]
212 ns ± 9.25 ns per loop (mean ± std. dev. of 7 runs, 1000000 loops each)
the interpreter translates that into a method call:
In [137]: timeit data.__getitem__(idx)
283 ns ± 4.37 ns per loop (mean ± std. dev. of 7 runs, 1000000 loops each)
indexing the 'flat' array, can be done with:
In [138]: timeit data.flat[np.ravel_multi_index(idx,data.shape)]
6.65 µs ± 75.5 ns per loop (mean ± std. dev. of 7 runs, 100000 loops each)
or taking the conversion out of the loop:
In [139]: %%timeit x=np.ravel_multi_index(idx,data.shape)
...: data.flat[x]
574 ns ± 23.7 ns per loop (mean ± std. dev. of 7 runs, 1000000 loops each)
In [142]: %%timeit x=np.ravel_multi_index(idx,data.shape);df=data.flat
...: df[x]
345 ns ± 6.39 ns per loop (mean ± std. dev. of 7 runs, 1000000 loops each)
I think there are cases where flat indexing is faster, but this isn't one.
So a stand alone operation I don't see the point to writing a njit version. I suppose if it's part of some larger operation it could be worth it.