How can I use the rms package in R to execute a negative binomial regression? (I originally posted this question on Statistics SE, but it was closed apparently because it is a better fit here.)
With the MASS package, I use the glm.nb function, but I am trying to switch to the rms package because I sometimes get weird errors when bootstrapping with glm.nb and some other functions. But I cannot figure out how to do a negative binomial regression with the rms package.
Here is sample code of what I would like to do (copied from the rms::Glm function documentation):
library(rms)
## Dobson (1990) Page 93: Randomized Controlled Trial :
counts <- c(18,17,15,20,10,20,25,13,12)
outcome <- gl(3,1,9)
treatment <- gl(3,3)
f <- Glm(counts ~ outcome + treatment, family=poisson())
f
anova(f)
summary(f, outcome=c('1','2','3'), treatment=c('1','2','3'))
So, instead of using family=poisson(), I would like to use something like family=negative.binomial(), but I cannot figure out how to do this.
In the documentation for family {stats}, I found this note in the "See also" section:
For binomial coefficients, choose; the binomial and negative binomial distributions, Binomial, and NegBinomial.
But even after clicking the link for ?NegBinomial, I cannot make any sense of this.
I would appreciate any help on how to use the rms package in R to execute a negative binomial regression.