I am trying to run some notebooks in my virtual environment in the VSCode (remotely connected). I install the venv as usual via python3 -m venv <venv-name>, activate it and install all the needed modules. When I run which ipython I get the one from the venv so I install the kernel via ipython kernel install --name "<name>" --user and it is successfully created in ~/.local/share/jupyter/kernels/ directory and the kernel.json points to the venv python. Then I open the VSCode and select both the Python: Select Interpreter and Jupyter: Select Interpreter to start Jupyter server to point to the virtual environment's python, sth. like .../<venv-name>/bin/python3.
However, when I try to run the cell it wants me to select kernel (I can also do it myself in the upper right corner of the VSCode), but my newly created kernel is not there. There are only two (same) ones from usr/bin/python.
It is really strange since twice in two days my kernel magically appeared for one notebook and worked as desired, but when I opened a new notebook, my kernel was gone again. I tried to remove/reinstall kernels, venvs, VSCode's Python and Jupyter extensions but nothing helped. Any suggestions?
For now, I start the kernel in remote command-line via jupyter notebook --no-browser --ip=<ip> and then insert the connection link to Jupyter Server in the bottom right corner of the VSCode status bar but am wondering if there is an easier way since all the stuff (except VSCode) is on a remote machine?