Refresh long-lived token via Instagram graph api

Viewed 614

I have long-lived token of user on back-end and successfully getting different information from graph-api endpoints.

Now I am trying to refresh these valid, unexpired tokens on my side periodically and following Refresh Access Token documentation, but getting an error with 400 status code every time:

My request:

curl -X GET \
  'https://graph.instagram.com/refresh_access_token?grant_type=ig_refresh_token&&access_token={my_token}'

Response:

Sorry, this content isn't available right now

To make sure that token was valid, checked it via Access Token Debugger tool and it seems that my token is valid for next 3 months.

I found that several other engineers having the same problem but was not able to find any way out or the reason of this issue.

Is there any solution for it?

1 Answers

I have found an answer on my question and since I already see one person in comment, for whom my answer will be useful, going to post it here.

In order to refresh valid token, we can use https://graph.facebook.com/oauth/access_token endpoint. So the request with params will be like this:

https://graph.facebook.com/oauth/access_token?
grant_type=fb_exchange_token
&client_id={client-id}
&client_secret={client_secret}
&exchange_token={old_token}

Also, one more note - if I remember correctly, even old token will keep valid until its ttl don't expires.

Related