This question is due to insane curiosity rather than an actual problem. Consider the following code:
template<typename...>
struct type_list {};
template<typename, typename = void>
struct test_class;
template<typename... T>
struct test_class<type_list<T...>> {
static constexpr auto value = false;
};
template<typename T>
struct test_class<type_list<T>, std::enable_if_t<std::is_same_v<T, int>>> {
static constexpr auto value = true;
};
int main() {
static_assert(!test_class<type_list<double, char>>::value);
static_assert(test_class<type_list<int>>::value);
}
This fails with the error:
ambiguous partial specializations of 'test_class<type_list>'
If I changed the second specialization to something that doesn't work from a functional point of view, the error would go away:
template<typename T>
struct test_class<type_list<T>> {
static constexpr auto value = true;
};
Similarly, if I use the alias template void_t, everything works as expected:
template<typename T>
struct test_class<type_list<T>, std::void_t<std::enable_if_t<std::is_same_v<T, int>>>> {
static constexpr auto value = true;
};
Apart from the ugliness of combining void_t and enable_if_t, this also gets the job done when there is a single type that differs from int, ie for a static_assert(!test_class<type_list<char>>::value) (it wouldn't work in the second case instead, for obvious reasons).
I see why the third case works-ish, since the alias template is literally replaced with void when the condition of the enable_if_t is satisfied and type_list<T> is more specialized than type_list<T...> (right?).
However, I would have expected the same also for the following:
template<typename T>
struct test_class<type_list<T>, std::enable_if_t<std::is_same_v<T, int>>> {
static constexpr auto value = true;
};
At the end of the day, std::enable_if_t<std::is_same_v<T, int>> somehow is void when the condition is statisfied (ok, technically speaking it's typename blabla::type, granted but isn't ::type still void?) and therefore I don't see why it results in an ambiguous call. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something obvious here though and I'm curious to understand it now.
I'd be glad if you could point out the standardese for this and let me know if there exists a nicer solution than combining void_t and enable_if_t eventually.