I wanted to know how to generate the English base case Localizable.strings file in Xcode 13 without using genstrings.
I'm using the new compiler support to extract strings for localisation then exporting -> translating -> importing via the .xcloc files. All this works nicely, aside from one problem...
I'm having difficulty getting it to create the initial Localizable.strings file in the development language, i.e. en in my case. When I try and import the relevant en.xcloc file nothing happens. I can import other languages without problem.
Here are the steps I am taking:
- Write some basic code with one piece of text that can be localised
- Select Product -> Export Localisations... and choose English - Development Language
Correctly creates en.xcloc file - contents as expected, picking up the text to be localised.
- Select Product -> Import Localisations... and re-import the english
en.xclocfile
This does nothing. So I try the following:
- Go to Project's file -> Info tab and add a new language, say (Fr)
- Select Product -> Export Localisations... and choose
English - Development LanguageandFrenchoptions - Open
fr.xclocfile and add translations required - Come back to Xcode and import
fr.xclocfile - Now the
Localizable.stringsfile appears - it is of course the French version - Importing the
en.xclocfile still does nothing - If I open up the file inspector on the right, I can click to add an English version, but it simply copies the French version (which causes lots of other issues)...
I think where I'm coming from, is that because one doesn't have to rely on genstrings in Xcode 13, I'm wondering how to create the initial translation files.