From what I understand useEffect hook runs last as a sideEffect. I am attempting to console log data.main.temp. I can understand that it doesn't know what that is yet, because it is fetching the data from the api in the useEffect hook which runs after.
How would I be able to access or console log data.main.temp AFTER the api call? (I feel like setTimout is the cheating way?)
import React, { useState, useEffect } from "react";
import Button from "../UI/Button";
import styles from "./Weather.module.css";
import moment from "moment";
import Card from "../UI/Card";
export default function Weather() {
//State Management//
const [lat, setLat] = useState([]);
const [long, setLong] = useState([]);
const [data, setData] = useState([]);
//openWeather API key
const key = "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";
useEffect(() => {
const fetchData = async () => {
//get coordinates//
navigator.geolocation.getCurrentPosition(function (position) {
setLat(position.coords.latitude);
setLong(position.coords.longitude);
});
//fetch openWeather api//
await fetch(`https://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/weather/?lat=${lat}&lon=${long}&units=metric&APPID=${key}`)
.then((res) => res.json())
.then((result) => {
setData(result);
console.log(result);
});
};
fetchData();
}, [lat, long]);
//Examples of what I want, they run too early before api//
console.log(data.main.temp);
const Farenheit = data.main.temp * 1.8 + 32;
return (
<Card>
{typeof data.main != "undefined" ? (
<div className={`${styles.weatherContainer} ${styles.clouds}`}>
<h2>Weather</h2>
<p>{data.name}</p>
<p>{data.main.temp * 1.8 + 32} °F</p>
<p>{data.weather[0].description}</p>
<hr></hr>
<h2>Date</h2>
<p>{moment().format("dddd")}</p>
<p>{moment().format("LL")}</p>
</div>
) : (
<div></div>
)}
</Card>
);
}