Chromium 88 data leaking in kiosk mode

Viewed 293

I am using Chromium 88 in kiosk mode connected cellular. Chromium is running the site as http://localhost with occasional data push from server. Even when a static page is on there is a constant data exchange around 470 bytes per second which is 1MB per hour. Since I am on a cellular with $0.10 per MB this adds up. Is there any way to completely stop chromium in sending any data when idle? Below are the command line inputs I've already tried but I am still not able to stop the data leak. Any thoughts on how to completely stop chromium sending data will be good. I cannot completely work offline mode, because I need to send some data from server once a day to keep it refreshed.

Any pointer will be helpul.

/usr/bin/chromium-browser
--disable-sync
--data-reduction-proxy-lo-fi
--enable-data-reduction-proxy-savings-promo
--disable-background-networking
--disable-component-update
--dns-prefetch-disable
--disable-plugins
--no-pings
--disable-background-mode
--disable-translate
--disable-session-crashed-bubble
--noerrdialogs
--disable-infobars
--kiosk http://localhost
1 Answers

I found the answer myself. Documenting answer for others. chromium-browser contains google services which starts automatically and connect to account.google.com, *.googleapis.com, safebrowsing.googleapis.com and many others which slowly leaks data around 1 mb per hour. This is not a big deal if connected to WiFi but is an issue when connected to cellular with data only plan. So I removed chromium-browser and added ungoogled-chromium https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium which strips out all google services. They have the latest chromium version and it works exactly the same without google services.

I personally think if anyone using raspberry pi chromium without google services should install this.

Related