Can a Google Shared Drive be indexed by Windows Indexing?

Viewed 456

I have a windows application that uses the Dir function to search for an item in a folder like this:

If Dir("X:\Maps\" & MapNum & ".jpg") <> "" Then
    Me![myMap].Picture = "X:\Maps\" & MapNum & ".jpg"
Else
    Me![myMap].Picture = "X:\Maps\NoMap.jpg"
End If

This works very fast because the Windows Indexing service is able to index the contents of the local disk. Now I need to replace the local disk with a Google Shared disk. This works, but very slowly because the content on the network disk is not indexed.

Google Drive for desktop has the option to mirror the files and store them both in the cloud and on my computer, thereby allowing them to be indexed. I am trying to avoid having to store files on my computer if they already exist in the cloud. I would prefer to be able search against an index of the cloud files, but I don't know if that is possible.

Is it possible for a Windows Server to index the contents of a Google Shared Drive?

1 Answers

For anyone thinking along the same lines that I was with this issue, I ended up solving this by using a piece of great open source software from voidtools.com called Everything which allows you to index mapped network drive/NAS/Network shares. This allows me to instantly locate files and folders by filename on Google shared drives.

Related