I've built a file uploader (that runs on php in the backend) that previews an image file prior to upload.
The problem I'm having is I can't get it work with multiple files.
It's based on a tutorial I watched and the crux of the issue is in the updateThumbnail function. When this function is called for multiple file uploads I think I need to change the second parameter from fileUploader.files[0] to fileUploader.files, but I'm struggling with the actual function itself.
I clearly need to run a foreach loop (or similar) in the updateThumbnail function but I can't get it to play ball.
Note: It seems CodePen doesn't allow drag & drop functionality, but there is an input file element that is also assigned to the drop-zone that is hidden in the HTML with display:none. This uses a click event listener and fileUploader.click() so when you click the drop-zone you can bring up the file picker window.
Codepen: https://codepen.io/pauljohnknight/pen/JjNNyzO
// hidden on the form, but has drag & drop files assigned to it
var fileUploader = document.getElementById("standard-upload-files");
var dropZone = document.getElementById("drop-zone");
var showSelectedImages = document.getElementById("show-selected-images");
dropZone.addEventListener("click", (e) => {
//assigns the dropzone to the hidden input element so when you click 'select files' it brings up a file picker window
fileUploader.click();
});
fileUploader.addEventListener("change", (e) => {
if (fileUploader.files.length) {
// this function is further down but declared here and shows a thumbnail of the image
updateThumbnail(dropZone, fileUploader.files[0]);
}
});
dropZone.addEventListener('dragover', e => {
e.preventDefault()
})
dropZone.addEventListener('dragend', e => {
e.preventDefault()
})
// When the files are dropped in the 'drop-zone'
dropZone.addEventListener("drop", (e) => {
e.preventDefault();
// assign dropped files to the hidden input element
if (e.dataTransfer.files.length) {
fileUploader.files = e.dataTransfer.files;
}
// function is declared here but written further down
updateThumbnail(dropZone, e.dataTransfer.files[0]);
});
// updateThumbnail function that needs to be able to handle multiple files
function updateThumbnail(dropZone, file) {
var thumbnailElement = document.querySelector(".drop-zone__thumb");
if (!thumbnailElement) {
thumbnailElement = document.createElement("img");
thumbnailElement.classList.add("drop-zone__thumb");
// append to showSelectedImages div
showSelectedImages.appendChild(thumbnailElement);
}
if (file.type.startsWith("image/")) {
var reader = new FileReader();
reader.readAsDataURL(file);
reader.onload = () => {
thumbnailElement.src = reader.result;
};
} else {
thumbnailElement.src = null;
}
} // end of 'updateThumbnail' function
body {
margin: 0;
display: flex;
justify-content: center;
width: 100%;
}
form {
width: 30%;
}
#drop-zone {
border: 1px dashed;
width: 100%;
padding: 1rem;
margin-bottom: 1rem;
}
.select-files {
text-decoration: underline;
cursor: pointer;
}
/* image that is preview prior to form submit*/
.drop-zone__thumb {
width: 200px;
height: auto;
display: block;
}
#submit-images {
margin-top: 1rem;
}
<form id="upload-images-form" enctype="multipart/form-data" method="post">
<h1>Upload Your Images</h1>
<div id="drop-zone" class="drop-zone flex">
<p class="td text-center">DRAG AND DROP IMAGES HERE</p>
<p>Or</p>
<p class="select-files">Select Files</p>
</div>
<div id="show-selected-images"></div>
<div class="inner-input-wrapper">
<div class="upload-label-wrapper">
<input id="standard-upload-files" style="display:none" type="file" name="standard-upload-files[]" multiple>
</div>
<input type="submit" name="submit-images" id="submit-images" value="SUBMIT IMAGES">
</div>
</form>