I need to track an object from its point of view (mobile object looking at the room, not static camera looking at the object), and I have an XBOX Kinect lying around and I've heard these things are wonderful.
This Kinect only needs to track its position and rotation (either accelerometer, IMU, or intense maths) in a single room. It will never move out of that room while it's operating. The idea is I will place 5 ping pong balls of distinct colors (red green blue white purple) with lights inside of them around the room, on the walls and ceiling. They will vaguely resemble the six sides of a cube, minus the floor side, but I don't believe they need to be evenly spaced or measured. Then for a first time setup, I can take several pictures of the room and record the relative positions of each ping pong ball and save it. The position of the Kinect after that should be easy enough, right? I can pick whichever ball is visible and get my relative position to it with the same maths from earlier, badabing badaboom.
Now for the questions part. First things first, will I be able to distinguish which ball is which based on color alone? Obviously lighting will affect things but it will be dimly lit which I assume will help. Next will 5 balls even be enough? I'm not sure 5 balls will guarantee one is always visible. The more I add the more the ranges of colors will bleed. Will the balls need to be spaced like a cube? I assume this doesn't matter at all and they could be anywhere at all since it's just taking relative position initially and storing it.
Is this idea even sound? I'm a little lost here.
Sorry if I did this wrong, I've never asked a question here before.