An Internal error occured error code 0x4 remote desktop connecting to google cloud Compute Engine VM

Viewed 8496

When tyring to login to RDP the "old" remote dekstop connection gave "an internal error occured"

And the new modern UI remote dekstop from windows store with version 10.2.1810.0 gave: error code 0x4 remote desktop

It seems a colleage has been logged in with wierd screen size. How can I resolve this without rebooting the machine?

4 Answers

Actually, even moving the port off 3389 doesn't help (for long)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber

if there is an open port allowing RDP they will find it eventually and you will need to implement one of the above programs noted by Daniel. That was exactly my issue as well. You can usually tell if the problem is intermittent since it's just luck to get by the constant pounding on the open port...

For me, it was the graphic choice. No idea why but as I swap between the 4 options, only one works

enter image description here

I needed to set it to Highest Quality (32 bit)

However, I then restarted the server, and it no longer worked but True Colour (24 bit) did work! So, hopefully by toggling through each will get you through

I had this problem with error code 0x4, on a clients' server, and I see questions about it all over the internet. Fortunately for me, I found what caused my problem, and I will share it here with you, and I hope will help someone, if their problem is caused by same issue as mine.

In my case, it was caused by open, unprotected, RDP port 3389. As many would guess, this is a highly targeted port by bots. If your port is open to anyone in the internet, it's just a matter of time that your server or computer will be targeted.

The best solution would be to only allow connections from trusted IP addresses, the ones you use for connecting to your server.

Of course, that can't always be possible, so another solution would be something like the fail2ban utility used on many Linux servers.

The two solution I've found are EvlWatcher which is free and open source, and IPBan that have a free and open source version, but also a paid version.

You only need one of them, as they do the same thing. Do not install both. They will scan your logs and will temporary or permanently block any IP address with repeated fail connections. I suggest you always have your main IP address whitelisted, so you don't lock yourself out.

Best regards to you all.

Related